You are a blessing!

I am grateful to the Lord for being able to share Christ (and some life) with you. May the contents here be a blessing to you.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Murphy's Law

I've heard that the paradigm in Murphy's Law states basically that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, in front of the most witnesses possible (more than once), or at a critical time when you are SO not wanting to find the word "duh" engraved in your forehead.



It has been a wonderful day.

Right up to the time I put my foot in my mouth.

Romans 7 is haunting me right now (wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?). There are times, even now, that it seems that common sense and care go right out the door and a virulent case of stupids comes in and takes over your body. You become someone that looks like you, only now you have an evil twin. The Blue Collar Comedian, Ron White once commented, "You can't fix stupid!" Gee, today I really hope he's wrong. I was hoping this only happened to teenagers and that I had long since grown out of it. Wrong - at least for the present.

It will pass, I remind myself. Yeah, I reply, but not without considerable pain and eating a lot of crow dinners. Well, it could be worse. I could be insensitive to the repercussions of the debacle.

But I am not. The older I have gotten, I have come to realize I really do care about people. I care about how they feel, about what's going on in their lives and if there is any way I can comfort them (not blow them out of the water with some insanely shortsighted comment or action).

I realize mostly that these kinds of things happen when I am the center of my universe, trying to be master and commander of all I survey. In those times I forget that I have been bought with a price and I am not my own.

I'll eat the crow, along with a healthy portion of humble pie. At the end of it all, I really am grateful that when my selfishness strikes, God is in the details, ready to serve dinner at the exact right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment