You are a blessing!

I am grateful to the Lord for being able to share Christ (and some life) with you. May the contents here be a blessing to you.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tall Men

While at the VA hospital the other day, I met an elderly man who was looking for his car. Since I knew where the parking areas were, I volunteered to help him in his quest. As we walked along I noticed he was wearing a ball cap that said simply, "WW II Vet." This was no surprise, since most of the older men and women being seen at the VA were from that (and the Korean War) era. What surprised me was the cowboy-style belt buckle with the polished U.S. Marine Corps emblem in the center - an eagle, globe, and anchor proudly displayed for any and all to see.

I quickly asked him, "I notice you are a former Marine. When and where did you serve?"

I thought I had gravely hurt him when he began to answer tearfully, "I was on Iwo Jima."



"Really? Did you see the flag raising?"

"Yes, I saw them both." Not many people know there were two flags raised, the first being too small to be seen by anyone on board the ships at sea, so a second, much larger flag was raised. The second is the one from which the statue in Washington D.C. was sculpted.

"Where were you to see those flags, sir?" I asked.

"I was on top of Mt. Suribachi. I was in the first wave "

When he said that, I was filled with awe. I had to ask him, "Did you see any other action?"

"Yes, I was in the first wave on Okinawa, too." I was standing in the presence of humble greatness. This man had been in the last - and bloodiest - battle of WW II.

It was an honor to help him that day. We spoke pleasantly about many things not related to battle. We spoke of how God had His hand on the man from that time to this, and how his life had been protected and cherished all this time by the King of the Universe. I was a child, meeting a real hero. 

I did not press him much for information about his service. I did not need to. I was standing in the presence of a very tall man.

No comments:

Post a Comment